Arts General Operating Grant Program
The Arts General Operating Grant Program is our largest granting program. It provides annual, unrestricted grants to nonprofit performing and visual arts organizations in Dallas County. Organizations can use this unrestricted funding as they see fit on an array of expenses, including program costs, salaries, administration, office expenses, technology or to meet other operational needs.
Specifically, the Arts General Operating Grant Program is designed to:
- foster artistic excellence
- encourage innovation and originality
- support and inspire local artists and local creation
- increase accessibility to the arts for all citizens of Dallas County
- reward financial and administrative stewardship
Grants are awarded annually in January/February. Grant eligibility and evaluative criteria are published annually. Applicant programs and applications are reviewed and scored by external peer review panels, comprised of volunteer artists, arts administrators, arts advocates, business professionals, community volunteers, and others selected for their expertise and objectivity. Grant amounts are determined by a formula process taking into account an organization’s budget size and score, the number of applicants and the total amount of funds available for TACA to distribute. For more information about our grant process, please review our Grant Guidelines.
2020 Arts General Operating Grant Cycle – Open
TACA’s 2020 Arts General Operating Grant cycle is open. Every organization interested in applying for an Arts General Operating Grant is required to submit a digital Letter of Interest (LOI) via the TACA Grants Portal by Friday, March 1, 2019 at 5:00 p.m. (CST). For information about eligibility, the grant process, and our evaluative criteria, please download and review our Grant Guidelines below.
To begin your digital LOI, please click on the link below. Before you can access the LOI, you will need to create an account in the TACA Grants Portal with your own username and password (if you have not already done so in a prior year’s application). After beginning a LOI, you can access your saved LOI in the TACA Grants Portal. Do not try to access your saved LOI by clicking on the link above as it will begin a new LOI.
For quick reference, below is a summary of eligibility requirements for our 2020 Arts General Operating Grant Program. For more information, please download and review our Grant Guidelines above.
In order to be eligible to apply for funding, an organization must:
- be a performing or visual arts organization
- have received its IRS 501(c)(3) designation as a public charity by March 1, 2018, and such designation must remain current with the IRS
- be able to submit clear financial reports to document its revenues and expenses for at least one full year prior to the application deadline
- be deemed by TACA as eligible to apply after completion of the Pre-Application Process
- provide year-round performing and/or visual art programming for a live, public audience
- satisfy one of the following requirements (in addition to satisfying the above requirements):
- A majority of the public arts programming (including free or low-cost educational programming) must take place within Dallas County*; OR
- A majority of the organization’s patrons (including students) are residents of Dallas County
*Touring outside of North Texas not included.
TACA does not provide funding to the following institutions:
- Colleges/Universities/High Schools/Elementary schools
- Fiscally-sponsored organizations
- For-profit arts institutions
- Non-arts organizations with arts programming
TACA grant awards may not be used to fund the following:
- Capital improvements, endowments, construction or real property
- Debt retirement, deficiencies in previously completed projects
- Cash prizes
- Benefits and events planned primarily for fundraising purposes
- Interest on loans, fines, penalties or costs of litigation
- Conservation and preservation
- Workshops, lectures, etc.
- Re-granting initiatives
- Arts writing (publications)
- Festivals and fairs
TACA Logos & Ads
Our TACA logo is provided in many different formats to assist our grant recipients and other organizations in acknowledging TACA support and collaboration in print and digital communications.